By Henry Kreis and Albert Stewart. 1957. A terra-cotta bas-relief mural located on Hill Street just north of the 101 freeway.
The text reads: “On this site stood Fort Moore. Built by the Mormon battalion during the War with Mexico. The flag of the United States was raised here on July 4th, 1847, by Unites States troops at the first independence day celebration in Los Angeles. This memorial honors the troops who helped win the Southwest: The United States 1st Dragoons who fought at San Pasqual. The New York Volunteers who came by sea. The Mormon Battalion who made on the longest and most arduous infantry marches in history.”
The side panel:
Side panel details:
“On ranchos where herds of cattle ranged pioneers built homes and planted vineyards and orange groves.”
“The prairie schooner stage and iron horse brought many settlers who made Los Angeles a city.”
“Water and Power have made our arid land flourish. May we keep faith with the pioneers who brought us these gifts.”